Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas "vacation"

My Christmas was quite entertaining and included ice skating, family bonding, gingerbread house making, steak and dim sum eating, racquetball playing, pedicuring, movie watching, etc. Unfortunately, my vacation was also marred by a cold I caught shortly before Christmas, and a virus that invaded my body about 5 days ago before I had gotten over the original cold. I'd like to pay tribute to our capitalistic society which has made the following product inventions possible:

NyQuil. Anyone who has had the opportunity to take this stuff knows of the blissful coma it can create. Unfortunately, I am told that NyQuil can be addicting and affect your sleeping patterns, so I have been trying not take it two days in a row. I am sorry to report that despite my diligence, NyQuil has recently lost its effectiveness--last night after taking 2 Advil Cold & Sinus and then tossing and turning for a few hours, I finally gave in and took another NyQuil. It took me another 2 hours to fall into an altogether too-conscious sleep.

Select Comfort Intralux Pillow - Contour. This pillow is pretty much the awesomest thing ever made for head comfort. And, especially when you're stuffed up to the point of not being able to breathe, the contours in this pillow open up your airways much better than normal pillows.

Halls Cough Drops. This picture (with "Sugar free" prominently displayed across the front of the package) is not illustrative of the non-sugar-free cough drops that I in fact purchased. However, as great as these drops have been on soothing my throat and attempting to manage my cough, I regret that decision to buy sugar-filled cough drops as I have slept with cough drops in my mouth for the past two nights. I suppose a trip to the dentist to drill out cavaties is yet another happy result of the virus that plagues me.

With that said, if anyone can give me an effective suggestion for controlling my cough at night so I can actually get some sleep, I would be forever grateful...

2 comments:

M. said...

Haa!! Merry Christmas and Happy New year!! :) I am soo jealous you had dim sum. I had it soo much when i was in Singapore and miss it desperately. I must concur that the best vacation is chillin', movies, gingerbread making and all around not being productive ;) I hope you are better now. I can not take the meds- it makes me soo loopy it must be what its like to be stoned

Anonymous said...

I feel that there is a possibility you cursed me with this illness so that you'd have a sympathetic friend. This propensity to blame is pretty common with any illness I get, so don't feel bad.