Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Always Something There to Remind Me

My friends know that I pride myself on being a relatively effective consumer complaint letter writer. I am beside myself with joy when I receive a response letter from a manager that both addresses my concern and gives me a reason to remain a loyal customer. Most recently, my success was marked by a letter with the following: "Please find the enclosed coupons for two free gallons of Dreyer's ice cream. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced by purchasing a mint tingle gallon of ice cream that was mistakenly packaged without any chocolate tingle."

However, putting my pride aside for a minute, I realize that my attempts at writing these consumer complaints do not come close to the verbal stylings of Wendi from Texas. The following is an actual [censored] letter from an Austin woman sent to Proctor and Gamble regarding their feminine products. Forgive me for posting the entire letter--an abridgment simply wouldn't do Ms. Wendi justice.

[Warning: any males who become uncomfortable in discussions of feminine products should stop reading now.]

Dear Mr. Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your 'Always' maxi pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the Leak Guard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts.

But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants.

Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from 'the curse'? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my time of the month is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call 'an inbred hillbilly with knife skills.' Isn't the human body amazing?

As Brand Manager in the Feminine-Hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers monthly visits from 'Aunt Flo'. Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying, jags, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it's a tough time for most women. In fact, only last week, my friend Jennifer fought the violent urge to shove her boyfriend's [censored] into a George Foreman Grill just because he told her he thought Grey's Anatomy was written by drunken chimps. Crazy!

The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants... Which brings me to the reason for my letter.

Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: 'Have a Happy Period.'

Are you [censored] kidding me? What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a menstrual period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James?

FYI, there will never be anything 'happy' about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Walgreen's armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.

Pull your head out, man! If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like 'Put down the Hammer' or 'Vehicular Manslaughter is Wrong', or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bull. And that's a promise I will keep. Always.

Best,
Wendi
Austin, TX

6 comments:

Shiloh said...

LOL! hahahahahahahahahaha! hahahahaha!
hahahaha!
hahahhahahahahahaha!
I love it. hahahahahah!

HCIC said...

haha

Wendolamite said...

OMG I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING when i saw the "have a happy period" ad. I was like: WTF!?!?!? (except it wasn't censored..)

Lyndsay said...

Don't mess with Ms. Wendi (or Wendy for that matter). I want to see the response letter.
"Here is a free sample of our product. The offending phrase has been blacked out."

Mrs. Floporama said...

fabulous, awesome and so much more.
i laughed alone, in a room, with my cat, hysterically.

M. said...

ha. she is an idiot...on many levels. but a big boat of a pad while salsa dancing.. ITS CALLED USE TAMPONS! but hey, props for the letter. thanks for posting!