Monday, January 7, 2008

Love me, but don't show me

Last year while I was Christmasing in Arizona, my brother and his kids introduced me to High School Musical. My life, at that moment, changed forever for the better. I am proud to report that my brother's family pulled through again this year, and introduced me to something equally as grand as High School Musical--Sons of Provo (whose starring cast I will refer to as "the boyz").

You might recognize the frontman, Will Swenson, from the Singles Ward... or, if you are more spirichally in tune, you'll remember him as Captain Moroni from the CES seminary videos. Will does not disappoint in his performance in Sons of Provo, which recounts the rise and fall of the biggest LDS Boy Band that never really was.

While I recognize that sitting through the whole movie might be difficult for some, selections from the lyrics of three of my favorite songs written and sung by this boy band simply must be shared with the world via this blog.

Recognizing the unique dating patterns of Provo (the location for this movie), the Boyz sing about the difficulties we face as we try to remain on the straight and narrow during courting, and the unreasonably long length of time during which we're expected to hold strong:

Love Me, But Don't Show Me
These two weeks together have been the sweetest of my life,
My hearts prayer was answered when you agreed to be my wife.
Your love's like a cancer, girl, cuz I got no resistance,
There's only one answer girl: You got to keep your distance!

Love me, but don't show me.
I want our wedding night to be right.
Miss me, but don't kiss me.
If we start to makin' out girl, You won't be wearin' white.

After each date with you, I'll fight with all my might,
To treat you like a gentleman, and shake your hand goodnight.
I'll breathe in your perfume; it's fillin' up my lungs,
But don't you even start to try to use the gift of tongues.

Moving on, the Boyz serenade us with a moving ballad about the sweet spirited girls we all know and love:

Sweet Spirit (a ballad)
She... doesn't turn your head when she walks down the hall.
She... may not be the slender beauty fair and tall.
She... has some acne scars that populate her skin.
But she has beauty emanating deeply from within.

Ooo, sweet spirit, You're so.... [dramatic pause] niiiiiccceeeee.
You may not appear it, But your soul's a pearl of great price.
You're such a good person, Sincere and true.
You'll never hear her cursin'
You're such a special person,
I hope your looks don't worsen,
Or you'll never say... [another dramatic pause] "I dooooooooo."

And, lastly, the Boyz present a song which causes us to reminisce about many-a-testimony that have been shared in our singles wards:

Spirichal As Me
I like to take notes in Sacrament Meeting
But I'm not just some regular guy.
I've memorized the names of every Prophet and Apostle
And I've never told a lie.
When I'm eating lunch in the school cafeteria
I bow my head and pray out loud.
I'm so humble and meek,
And possessing such heavenly qualities makes me proud.

Maybe, someday, You will see
You could be as Spiritchal as me.
And maybe, someday, We'll just see
That you could be as Spiritchal as me.

I relate every topic to my mission, And the baptisms I had.
When I think of how lost Some people are, It honestly makes me sad.
If you follow my lead, let me be your example,
Then maybe someday you'll be, As virtuous, lovely and of good report- As spiritchal as me.

I'm so bless-ed for living like I do
Spreading my light to people just like you.

Realizing that the true magnitude of these lyrics simply cannot be felt without the beautiful musical stylings that are to accompany the words, let me extend this invite: if any of you were as moved by these lyrics as I was, feel free to contact me--my brother was kind enough to give me the blessed DVD as a Christmas present, and I would be more than happy to watch Sons of Provo with you. Again and again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catherine,
This post frightens me exceedingly... if only I could come up with such amazing lyrics. How do they do it?

Btw, our shared niece and nephew are getting cuter and cuter by the minute! If you haven't seen them recently, I highly recommend it.

M. said...

ha! I remember seeing this in the dollar theater before my mission. Hi-lar-ious. Man, I wish I was there and I would totally watch it with you again. :) ps. still havent seen the musical so could we do that too?!

Catherine said...

Hah... Tracie--if only i could make it to the east coast. So... far... away. I'm relegated to pictures for now. And Mel... when are you moving out here?! Probably at the same time that I move to DC. If we ever happen to overlap, I've got those two dvds with your name on them...

Jeff said...

I just lost the last shred of respect I had for you. Worst...movie...ever...

Mrs. Floporama said...

gag
thats all there is to say

Cynthia said...

cat. i had no idea about your weird obsessions