Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cookies for sale

So, my niece Natalie is actually quite cute, and well behaved for your average almost-four year old [pictured at age 2 to the right]. Her vocabulary and ability to formulate sentences is also well beyond her years. However, I've realized that hanging out with adult roommates and business people all day has not helped me relate to kids in a kid-friendly manner.

As I was sitting on the couch with my laptop working away, Natalie was eating "cookies", aka sucking on small plastic links. She allegedly doesn't understand my distaste for spit. In any case, Natalie proceeded to tell me about her cookies as she brought her bowl of spit-ridden plastic dangerously close to me. This is the exchange that ensued shortly after Natalie dropped the bowl:

N: "Can you help me get them?"

C: "No. They have your spit all over them."

N: "It's just water, you silly goose. Do you want a cookie right now?"

C: "No thank you."

N: "You get what you get. Don't throw a fit." [as she drops the spit-ridden piece of plastic on me.]

The plastic lodged itself in my pants. I am defeated. However, someone else who preceded me must have also been defeated... what three year old can already say "don't throw a fit?"