Thursday, January 17, 2008

How do I sign up for THAT job?

I have recently been trying to figure out what my ideal job would be. I hate when interviewers ask you where you will be in five or ten years--apparently, my response is supposed to indicate whether I have goals or something. I'm pretty sure I've never actually given a good (much less accurate) answer to that question. Regardless, I've found the perfect job for me.

The Associated Press ran a story this morning about Anthony Armatys (only 34 years old) of Illinois who accepted a position with Avaya in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, but then rescinded his acceptance before he started working. A system error caused checks to be deposited in Mr. Armaty's account from fall 2002 to March 2007, when the company finally realized the error. During that time, however, Armatys collected $469,000 in pay and even had the gumption to withdraw $1,900 from his company retirement account administered by Fidelity Investments.

Free $400k+? I will take it.

[For the record, Armatys is being charged with theft by deception and awaiting extradition to New Jersey with bail set at $50,000. Details, right? And have I mentioned that I'm proud of my home state?]

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

Maybe I should interview for more positions, thereby increasing the liklihood that I'll get a job offer and subsequent paychecks for a job I don't do.

Seriously, if you find out a good answer to "where do you see yourself in five/ten years" please let me know.