Monday, January 21, 2008

Me v. Winter. This is war.

This winter has been the worst ever. It seems like the weeks that I park outside are directly correlated to the snow storms and ice sheets which assault my car (and spirits). However, this morning's commute was especially fun and included the following:

1. Sliding down my snow-covered, solid ice of a driveway in reverse with the fear that someone would drive by at the same time.

2. "Driving" for 3 miles which started as solid, stopped traffic on the interstate, then "accelerated" to bumper to bumper traffic. Total travel time for the 3 miles = 55 minutes. Total travel time for the 25 mile commute = 90 minutes.

3. Facing the 100 meter long, inclined, completely unplowed driveway to our new building with trepidation.

4. Putting my car in park on said incline (complete with parking break) behind a Mitsubishi Mirage stuck in the snow, and a Saturn sedan which tried to pass the Mitsubishi on the left. The Saturn then also got stuck in the snow... thereby completely blocking the 2-lane driveway to my building. Tire chains solved the Mitsubishi's problems, and my Civic (with a whole lotta gas) ended up making it up the hill. Good Civic.

5. Making it into the "parking lot" by accelerating to the end of the indented snow, then looking to the left... if I parked in the spot to the left, I'd be stuck in the snow. Then I looked right... if I parked in the spot to the right, I'd also be stuck in the snow. Shocker. So, I gave up and put my car in park, perpendicular to all the other cars in the "lot" and abandoned poor 'ol Civic right then and there. [To my surprise, when I came out of the building, there were two cars parked next to me, also perpendicular to all the other cars. I'm such a trend setter].

In any case, after arriving home, I decided to use the *&(*^ snow which created such a headache in the morning for my own entertainment. We made an igloo. Then, realizing our igloo was too small for all of us to fit in, we made a fort. The logical next step was to make a pathway so that the warriors in the igloo could get to the fort for battle. Please note the cleaned up penguin who stands as sentinel over the fort/path/igloo kingdom.

Pleased with our efforts, we then drank hot chocolate in our fort. Take that, Jack Frost.

4 comments:

Star Gazer said...

I'm not a fan on the winter weather either! :( This morning, I drove from Provo to Salt Lake. It's usually only a 45 minute drive, but it took me 3 hours! Grrrr.....

M. said...

hilarious. At least you HAD snow to cause that mayhem. Here in D.C. I got out of work 3 hrs early bc there was FROST- that turned into slush! sheesh. not going to complain but...laaaame! :) love the igloo btw.

Shiloh said...

Glad you had fun in the snow anyway! Love the igloo.
Four Words: Get A New Car!

Lyndsay said...

You guys are almost as obsessed with penguins as Erik is!
How can I commission an igloo like yours?