Sunday, January 27, 2008

I need all wheel drive Xo(

The inevitable has finally happened--my driveway (aka solid sheet of ice) has finally caught up with me. Early this morning while not fully awake, I intended to skid my car down the driveway as usual. However, after cutting to the left too much, I found myself unable to straighten my car out while unsuccesfully spinning my wheels on the icy driveway. Hoping that I'd still be able to skim by on the shoveled portion, I then proceeded to back up and get stuck in the snow bank to the left of our driveway. A lot of wasted gas, a dose of futile pushing of the car by Chantal [yes, in her dress and heels], and some serious revving of the engine in both 'drive' and 'reverse' later... I abandoned my car from the passenger's side door, since the snow pack made it impossible for me to open the driver's side door.

Luckily, my buddy Tom and his Chevy Silverado came to the rescue after church. Since it was apparently impossible to attach towing cables to the little metal hook beneath my back bumper, Tom attached his rope/towing mechanism directly to my rear axle. [Despite his caution and care, I wonder if I should be worried by the sheer number of times Tom's said something like: "Man. I hope we didn't wreck anything on your car. If it starts making any rattling noise, or if your car starts driving sharply to the right... you have to promise to let me know." Uh, Tom? If my rear wheels fall off during my commute, I'll be sure to let you know.]

In any case, I made myself quite useful by using my digital camera to get a photo and video documentary of the towing process, while Tom set up and supervised to ensure that my rear axle wasn't ripped off, Chantal pushed my car, and CJ operated the truck. Meanwhile, Wendy entertained herself by tossing snowballs to a neighborhood golden retriever that came bounding into our yard at this inopportune time.

All I can say is that there is something amazing to be said about trucks and their functionality. And, contrary to my prejudice against American cars in general, American trucks rock. Oh, and I need all wheel drive.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Get a Subaru :)

Lyndsay said...

Somehow I don't picture Ms. Chou in a truck. I say get a bigger garage.

Catherine said...

Clarification--I will not be buying a truck with awd. However, I am coming to understand the usefulness and appeal of trucks (which were only for guys with short man syndrome or guidos in my high school... such an upbringing left a bad taste in my mouth). Bigger garage... check. Little sporty car masquerading as an awd snowcat... hopefully, future check.

Erik said...

i find it interesting that no one ever considered shoveling that large amount of snow around the car. What ever happened to good old fashioned hard work? now that is american.

Anonymous said...

I do not dipute the usefulness of a truck. It is everywhere in the south. Even a skinny lady in my office is driving a huge truck. May be it is a culture thing.