Thursday, January 24, 2008

Crackberry. It's like a strawberry, but faster.

Following the example of an unfortunate email that I received lately from an angry girl carrying an illegitimate child, I now abbreviate "baby" to "bb" when typing, texting, or instant messaging (which pretty much covers all of my preferred methods of communication). However, since "bb" is already taken, the recent acquisition of a pretty Blackberry leaves me without an easy abbreviation for the device that was going to be named "strawberry" until marketing execs thought that name sounded too slow. I've finally settled on "cb", short for "crackberry", a nickname for Blackberries that I have quickly come to understand.

Wikipedia, our source of all truth and knowledge, explains the nickname: "The ability to read e-mail that is received in realtime, anywhere, has made the BlackBerry devices infamously addictive, earning them the nickname "CrackBerry"."

It's true friends... this thing is addictive. I've been chatting, changing my status on Facebook, and emailing people pictures taken on this thing entirely too much. I have a sneaking suspicion that if my work-sponsored cb is taken away (because I decide to change jobs, not because I'm abusing the privilege), I'll "need" to buy my own cb for myself.

On the upside, my work has assumed liability for my personal Verizon contract and transferred my old number to my shiny new cb. Therefore, I have no cell phone bill for the first time in ... many, many years. Life is good.

4 comments:

Mike said...

i know. i had a crackberry... now i have a motocrackola q... doesn't have the same ring to it... but just as addictive.

Lyndsay said...

I knew this would happen, but I am also now on crack...berry. My foray into the crackberry world was supposed to brief and now I fear I can never go back.

jackie e said...

ok, so did you mean to put famiry instead of family...if you did that is funny. oh yeah, and i'm so totally offended by that. maybe i'll put you on my "A list"

Cranky Old Man said...

Never used crack, never will!