Thursday, November 1, 2007

Attorneys. We pretty much rule the world.

I have been sworn in... I am officially an attorney.

Wendy came with me to the "swearing in ceremony" to function as my Asian mom--which means that she kept repeating: "I so ploud of you. You be best lawyer! You be numma one! No numma two! Jus numma one!" How nice.

The ceremony, for those interested, was delightfully entertaining. Since I was blessed to sit admist all of the dark suit jackets, Wendy and I didn't get to sit next to each other. And, it's a good thing we didn't, because that may have caused an immediate character/fitness sanction. Apparently, both of us were individually laughing quite a bit through the whole thing... if we had been sitting next to each other, there is a good chance our laughing would have amplified.

During one part of the ceremony, each new admittee stood up individually when our name was read; after everyone's name was read, we all stood in the middle of the banquet hall at the Salt Palace while the rest of the room applauded us. And, as if that wasn't enough, we were then directed to "follow tradition" by turning outward, and applauding all those who helped us achieve this monumental accomplishment. Seriously? I'm sorry, did we all just conquer the universe or something?
Luckily, I did at least come out of the grand occasion with a good soundbyte. Background: my family has two doctors, a dentist, and an attorney. People always ask me why I didn't choose to go into the medical profession, and I respond by saying that I can't handle blood [see "Don't Try This At Home" post]. However, what everyone fails to realize is that I, in fact, chose the much more noble and accomplished profession. So, to all those doctors out there... please pay attention to the following, as stated by Chief Justice Durham:

"While YOUR predecessors were still treating people with cobwebs and leeches, MY predecessors were writing the Declaration of Independence."

And the truth shall set you free.

5 comments:

Star Gazer said...

I missed that comment. :) I was sitting so far in the back and couldn't hear a thing. It's a great quote!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations. I feel so special just to know you! :)

M. said...

haaaa. dork! Congrats!!!! now...car???

Lyndsay said...

Thank you, Chief Justice Durham, for the quote. I plan on using it over and over in my life whenever Erik & friends start to get too cocky.

Shiloh said...

CONGRATULATIONS CATHERINE!!!!
You looked beautiful too!!! Your mom would have been so proud to be there! I'm glad Wendy could fill in!!! (Did she also take you to Chuck-a-Rama to celebrate???)
You rock!!!!