Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Weekend delights and fat happies

This past weekend was a delight... and filled with fat happies and Nintendo thumb/shoulder/ wrist/arm™. For all those within the sound of my "voice", check out the following recommendations:

1. Shabu. Park City, Utah. The silly website programmers created an all-flash site, which makes it impossible for me to post the very pretty logo of the restaurant. The freestyle sea bass was amazing, as was the 5 spice white chocolate shabu shabu dessert. That meal in and of itself was almost worth the drive up, even factoring in my dire hatred of driving. AND, even though I then drove home to Provo and made myself another meal at 10pm because the portions were clearly insufficient to satisfy my ravaging appetite, it was totally worth it.

2. Happy Sumo Sushi. Provo, Utah. I have been to Happy Sumo a number of times. I went on temporary strike and cursed their name when they changed their Surf & Turf roll from steak and tempura shrimp to steak and crab [talk about a weasly cost saving mechanism. Hello, you're charging me $12.95 for a tiny roll of sushi... spring for the single fried shrimp]. On Saturday, however, I took a major plunge. I decided to not try to spend a reasonable amount of money and leave the restaurant hungry, but instead to get what I actually wanted. [Heather... I credit you with the assist in making this decision]. The Ahi tuna dinner, which I just happened to discover on Saturday, is delicious... and, dare I say, pretty reasonably priced. The Sunset Roll (on Shiloh's suggestion) was also tasty... and Wendy was kind enough to let me sample her Agedashi tofu appetizer. Little bits of fried tofu swimming in a pool of tempura dipping sauce and sprinkled with green onions? Yes, please!

3. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Provo, Utah. The picture above does NOT do these apples justice. Three words--Apple Pie Apple. Long ago on a cheery winter day, Chantal happened upon these RMCF apples. I thought they were a rip off, until I had one piece... immediately, my taste buds started firing and my mind started dreaming of rainbows and Care Bears. Both Wendy and Heather doubted our suggestion to get the apples for dessert. After they tasted the goodness, however, they strongly regretted purchasing only one and sharing the coveted apple. [That'll teach people to not fully trust my food suggestions].

4. Kneaders. Lindon, Utah. All you can eat freshly-baked cinnamon french toast for $4.95. Oh, also, the accompanying "syrup"? Yeah, it's caramel. How can you go wrong with that?

And, moving onto the Nintendo thumb/shoulder/wrist/arm™ phenomenon:

5. Guitar Hero III. This game for the Nintendo Wii is the awesomest game ever. There were about 10 people at our house on Saturday night watching some real life metal rocker dude conquer the game on Expert level. He's a real life hero. Oh, and if I do say so myself, I have committed myself to conquering the game, and I'm doing pretty well. All those years of violin and piano practice have given me a much-needed edge. Warning: Extended play will cause serious Nintendo shoulder/wrist/arm strain.

6. Super Mario Bros. 3. Not to be outdone by new, fancy technology, I downloaded this game onto my Nintendo Wii. Many hours have been spent in a frog, racoon, and hammer man suit. If anyone can tell me how to get back to the boards where I can kick the goomba out of the green stocking shoe, then travel around in said shoe, I will be eternally greatful. Warning: Intense play has caused really painful Nintendo thumb.

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I looooove your food obsession! Curse you for mentioning a delicious apple I'm well aware of but cannot have.
Really. My mouth is watering.

Anonymous said...

Where do I get one of those apples?!?!? Please hurry- I need one NOW!!

Catherine said...

Riverwoods. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. If you're facing Tucanos, the store in question is a couple stores to the right. GO GO GO!

Shiloh said...

Loved this post! Especially since I got mentioned, which makes me famous.
Sunset Roll...yuuuummmm!
I do want to know how you love cars but hate driving. Will you love driving more when you get your dream car? (just go get it already!) ;)

Anonymous said...

So delicious... Perfect blend of tart, crisp , vibrant flavor with soothing, sensuous chocolate and a light , spry aftertaste of cinnamon... So unbelievably Satisfying.