Monday, November 26, 2007

Catherine, Comedian or Bum.

I spent some time with Kent and his family over Thanksgiving. We enjoyed a combination of family bonding activities--good food & shopping. After stuffing ourselves silly daily and finding quite a few steal-of-a-deal purchases, we got to the occasionally-discussed topic of what I should do with my life.

Keep in mind that Kent is the oldest child. According to birth order studies, he is the natural leader, take-charge person, and most financially successful sibling. Most Presidents of the US were first borns (including George W. himself)... and while I don't think Kent aspires to any type of political candidacy, he definitely fits the bill of an oldest child.

On the flip side, as the youngest child, I am allegedly the dreamer type who wants to change the world, as well as the most financially irresponsible member of the family. (Apparently, positive net worth isn't necessary to change the world. Good to know.) And, amusingly enough, most famous comedians are youngest children... though I don't consider myself to be a comedian, I am told that I definitely have characteristics of being the youngest child.

Imagine my surprise when, after I expressed disatisfaction with my current social situation, the outcome of that conversation was Kent pointing out that I have no expenses. What follows, of course, is that I should just take a few months off, bum around, live somewhere for free (or cheap), and get into a new and possibly more interesting social situation. After all, I have the rest of my life to work, right? I countered with the argument that I am in my upper 20s and need to concern myself with funding my 401k and doing other adult-like things. I was negated by not only Kent, but also his wife, sister in law and brother in law.

So, now I am in the process of considering saving up some money, taking off a few months, and bumming around. I wonder if that's a bad idea. And, uncharacteristically youngest child of me, I wonder if I can handle that decision that seems to be so irresponsible. I suppose you only get to be young and free once, right?

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I would like to add my vote for your becoming a bum.
I'm not sure whether this is an insult or a compliment, but I have serious doubts about your ability to do so.

Shiloh said...

I agree with Lyndsay. I tried to become a bum once. (Well I was going to try to get some sort of job while I was a bum, but still, you get the idea). I couldn't do it. Of course I'm an oldest child. I never had a chance. I think your older siblings are trying to live out their fantasies through you. You are the only one in the family with the remotest chance of doing the bum thing (although compared to the general population...that is another story). If you do it though, you have my full support. Could you try being a bum in Pheonix next year? I'll come live with you. ;)

M. said...

wow, I thought I was just funny by luck! :) As for taking off, full heartedly agree. After coming back from Thailand and hanging out with all commonwealthers who do it for a year or so, 2 months was def NOT enough for me those years ago. I'm thinking of working on a yacht somewhere really nice. Want in?!