Saturday, November 3, 2007

I'm totally a fraud.

For all of those [including myself] who were momentarily fooled by my pretty red work bag, let me now make it crystal clear for the record that I, in fact, am an embarassment of a "professional".

I was sitting in my office on Friday when the VP of People called my boss into the CFO's office. I could hear the CEO of the company join on the speakerphone, where I knew he was joining the COO, VP of People, CFO, his assistant, and my boss via phone. I figured there was a serious employment decision going on, and I hoped I wasn't in the process of being fired. Moments later, the assistant came and got me and indicated that the group needed my expertise on a recent deal that we had been trying to get out of. I grabbed my computer and headed into the room.

The CEO then said, "Catherine, we need you to chime in on this--we need your expertise here. Apparently, this [client's name] deal won't die. We've spoken with the executives over there, and they say it allegedly has something to do with your recent swearing in and admission to the bar." I was confused momentarily, but my confusion turned to pure embarassment and horror when our entire executive team started singing "for she's a jolly good fellow..." I felt my face turn BRIGHT red, my hands came to my cheeks, and all I could do was look down and laugh while saying "Wow. I am SO embarassed."

The COO gestured to a present sitting on the desk. After my seranade was over, I took the gift and tried to escape from the room, but the VP told me that I needed to open the present in front of everyone. I opened it--and it was a beautiful Mont Blanc pen with leather case that all of the people in the room had pitched in as a congratulations-for-being-sworn-in present [I'll be honest... I don't quite understand the appeal of a $200+ ball point pen... but the thought behind it was so nice. And hey, now I have a hoity toity pen. Rock on.] The assistant then pointed me to the card, and I said--thanks guys, that is so nice of you! I proceeded to grab my computer and leave the room quickly. As I left, I heard people laughing and saying "she's so funny", as to guise their true "what the crap is she running away from" feelings of confusion. In my defense, until I saw everyone filtering out of the room, shortly after I left, I was still under the impression that they were HAVING the business meeting. Apparently, my little artificially-cut-short-surprise WAS the "meeting". Oops.

The VP then came into my office to congratulate me, and laughingly suggested that next time anything like this happened, they should just line up outside of my office and individually come in, shake my hand, and congratulate me. Have I mentioned how embarassed I am? Oh, if only I could go back in time...

I have no problem arguing a point, presenting a theory, or defending a position. Public applause and compliments, however, apparently merit sincere fear and cause an uncontrollable flight response.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

I like to tell people that it's an impressive amount of poise that makes me unresponsive. It's a hard burden to bear though!
I completely froze when Erik surprised me by driving down to Castle Dale whilst I was there studying for the bar. Erik did not appreciate my nonchalance--but it was is defense mechanism! I can't control it!