Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Shmalloween

This is an actual conversation that took place in the candy aisle at Walmart, while my roommates and I "discussed" whether or not to buy Halloween candy.

Catherine: I don't want to buy Halloween candy. It's a waste of money.

Chantal: WHAT? How can you not buy candy? It's HALLOWEEN! We live in a real neighborhood! We're going to have a lot of trick-or-treaters.

Catherine: We can just turn out our lights and pretend not to be home.

Wendy: I agree. Plus, Halloween--going around and begging for candy--encourages gluttony. I cannot support gluttony. Especially with kids.

Catherine: Agreed.

Chantal: FINE. I'll buy all of the candy by myself. You can't have any. And, neither of you can come to the door and see the kids' cute costumes.

Catherine and Wendy: Okay. We don't care about the gluttonous kiddie costumes anyway.

I love holidays. I'm so festive.

6 comments:

Star Gazer said...

Who is the cute surgeon? He's adorable!

Catherine said...

Haha uh oh. Um. Change that *he's to a *she's... and it's the younger version of my niece. She's the sister of the boy on the "What's in a name" post.

Mrs. Floporama said...

you need a priorites check--
halloween is the best holiday and here's why:
1. lots of treats
2. no family visitations
3. it is socially accepted to be your true wicked self as preferred.

Shiloh said...

I agree with Annette 100%!!! What twisted lies have you bought into?? Halloween is a fabulous holiday and there is nothing cuter than little kids all dressed up. I LOVED being at my mom's house last night handing out the candy! Way to go Tilly for standing up for happiness and tradition. the only sad thing about this holiday is that it is changing because of all the truly evil people out there who would like to hurt kids. LONG LIVE HALLOWEEN!!!!

Paige said...

Catherine. How can you be human, and AMERICAN no less, and still say it's a waste to buy candy. Correction: it is NEVER a waste to buy candy. Think of it as an investment towards your energy level. To quote Jerry Seinfeld about the glories of this blessed holiday, "Who's giving out candy? EVERYONE THAT WE KNOW is just giving out candy?!?! I want to be a part of this! What do I have to do? I'll do anything! ... I can wear that."

Shiloh said...

Paige! Great reference to Seinfeld-- I was totally thinking of that when I read this!!
And candy IS an investment in happiness!!!!