Saturday, October 27, 2007

Considering the purchase of a depreciation machine

It's official, friends. I recently made my final student loan payment... and I am now debt-free!

The first order of business, of course, is to determine what type of car to purchase or lease. The Honda Civic my dad has let me use since undergrad has served me beautifully... great gas mileage... super reliable car... smooth drive... etc. Economically, I realize that holding on to the Civic until it dies would be the prudent decision. However, my siblings and I all have this deep-rooted problem... we know absolutely nothing about mechanics... or car technology... but we still lust after cars. [Our "insightful" car classifications could be described as the following: pretty ones, fast ones, nice ones, sporty ones, etc.] Plus, I'd like to return the Civic to my dad so that he can use it as a compact car for commuting etc. instead of his true love, the Dodge Grand Caravan.

Since I recently decided that leasing might be a viable option for me, the increased pool of possible cars I am considering are the following:

BMW 328xi:
Advantages
: xDrive all wheel drive, 230 horsepower, engine start/stop button, and hello... it's a bmw.
Disadvantages: flashiness (which will maximize the occurences of keying and dooring against my car), low gas mileage on a v6.

AKA: The car which, if purchased, will prevent any guy from ever asking me out.

Lexus IS250:
Advantages
: all wheel drive, paddle shifters, rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers, pretty good gas mileage with a v6.
Disadvantages: really crappy lease offerings [around $600/month? seriously?], designed to copy the BMW 3-series--who wants an imitation car?

AKA: The Japanese-riding BMW-styling imitation.

Audi A4:
Advantages: smooth drive, pretty body style.
Disadvantages: ugly dash, huge grill, depreciation machine, delay in acceleration.

AKA: Poor man's, slightly above-average performance European sedan.

Acura TSX:
Advantages
: reasonable cost, sleek body style, 4 cylinder engine with lots of get up and go, beautiful dash.
Disadvantages: turning radius, lack of awd [though, rumor has it that the redesigned 2009 version will have awd].

AKA: Beautiful and economical, yet still zippy car.

Right now, the TSX is the frontrunner. Suggestions? Votes? Advice?

8 comments:

m said...

BMW. Totally.
Just tell yourself that in Europe they're a dime a dozen. Flashy? Not in Europe. I love my Wolfie! I'd marry him if I wasn't already married.
So yes, BMW, all the way.

says a fellow beemer owner.
xo,
M.

Erik said...

I'll go with the Infinity or the A4. I think you are doing the Audi a disservice with that picture. Delay in acceleration? You sure? You are right with you analysis of the BMW: you don't want to be "that" girl. One car not on the list: C-class benz. the newest ones are gorgeous, but i bet you could get an out-going model at a good deal since they are probably trying to get rid of them.

Lyndsay said...

Ha, Erik commented before I was able to. I knew he would be sad about Mercedez not being represented on your list.

Sunshine said...

Not to talk badly about any cars/people, but I'd avoid the Audi. A friend of mine had the A4 and ran into nothing but problems once he hit 40,000 miles. If you go German, do it right.

BMW. I pushed both the 3 and 5 series all day at a demo/safety course at Dodger Stadium. We did skid tests, race courses, full on petal-to-the-floor then slam both feet on the brakes sort of brutality while avoiding cones (imagine they're puppies, don't hit the orange puppies!!).

I walked away with goosepumps, I'd been handled like I've never been handled before, with quality dripping from every sexy square inch of that love, er, driving machine. The quality of the interior, solid, strong, dark, quiet... like every good man should be.

The Mercedes is good. But there's something about the edge and handling of that BMW that makes it the 20-30 something icon, and it literally makes you go "GRRRRR" on the onramps as you hit the pedal and love the fact that your car can take YOU for a ride.

I'd suggest the Mercedes when you hit 40 and want to celebrate your money/er..security at that point.

One final point. You know I love the TSX. But here's a last story to drive this point home. A friend of mine was in his M3 going up a canyon when a boulder about the size of a basketball fell off the mountain and hit the front of his car. At the speed he was traveling, it was enough to launch him into multiple barrel rolls over the edge of the highway. Total devastation to the shrubs, the front and back of the car, but the cage? He walked away with a bruise and some scratches.

=o)

M. said...

wow! well, coming from a family of bargain quality shoppers (my dad has a permanent subscription to Consumer Reports) I say the Acura or the BMW... Audi while I love them, yeah total depreciation value...and just not as nice. But, Lexus as the upgrade of Toyota is always a good deal. lol. have fun making that decision, looking forward to my next visit when you can take me for a ride!

Mrs. Floporama said...

jeff and i are embarrassed that an econ major would even consider a lease.
we forbid it

and of course--get the acura. my acura is about to hit 190,000 miles and still has never needed major repairs!

Unknown said...

1. i can't believe i'm reading your blog. it's so not me. i've resisted for weeks...but i finally broke. i'm weak!!!
2. even worse, now i'm leaving you comments!!!
3. get the bmw!! it's hot!! you'll look hot driving it!! i would totally ask you out!!

Linds said...

I'm totally for the Acura! We had an RL for several years (well, Brian bought it when he was single, the I got it when we got married...) and it was a great car! I loved it! Have you looked at Infinities? Those are pretty nice too!