Monday, February 11, 2008

Diagnosis: too much carving

I finally took the plunge--I dropped $50, strapped on bindings, and let a fiberglass board speed me down a mountain. Thanks to the lessons from Tom, and his and Wendy's patience, I can now carve... again. However, I am now paying for that day-o-fun in the form of a shattered body as exhibited by the following symptoms:

1 - Shredded triceps. Using soap dispenser pumps when washing my hands now takes incredible effort--it takes intense concentration and essentially the weight of my whole arm (instead of a simple flexing of my tricep) to apply enough pressure to get some soap to dispense into my hand.

2 - Penguin walk. Due to the exhaustion of my quadriceps, I cannot lift my feet more than a few inches off of the ground--I therefore walk by shifting my weight from hip to hip and waddling forward.

3 - Immobilized neck. I cannot turn my head from side to side while in a reclined position, nor can I lift it without assistance from my hands.

4 - Red chin. Apparently, the rubbing against the inside of my jacket... as well as the friction caused by sliding across the snowy hill... have created a very raw chin.

5 - Sore bum and knees. Lots of falling. Bruises. Everywhere.

On a positive note, I did not break any bones. I was happy to be sliding down Utah's "greatest snow on Earth" (even face down, head first) instead of icy hills somewhere on the east or west coast.

Let's have three cheers for Utah snow! Ow. Ow. Ow.

*Disclaimer: Picture not representative of actual snowboarding experience.

3 comments:

M. said...

ha! Always so witty! :) Just rub it in... when i get out you better go with me and fall just as much!

Erik said...

you make your experience sound just as enjoyable as my last time on the slopes back in '97. that's right, 1997.

Lyndsay said...

this brings back memories of my first ski trip when my fav cousin told me just to snow plow if i got going too fast. he was giving the advice as he skied full-speed down our first run, so he didn't hear me yell "WHAT IS SNOW PLOWING??" therefore, whenever i got going too fast, i would just intentionally fall.
pattern: verry high speeds --> intentional fall --> get up (repeat)