Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tuned in

iTunes = genius. Seriously.

I firmly held to my "don't sign up for iTunes" platform for years... until last night. As Ryan Seacrest foreboding-ly announced, "this years' performances will ONLY be available for download until TOMORROW night at MIDNIGHT", I found myself frenetically trying to determine if that Seacrest's version of "midnight" was EST, CST, MST, or PST. Being unable to come up with a good answer to that question, I threw care to the wind, broke out my laptop, and furiously started searching for my Idol contestants' most memorable performances of the season.

$10.89 + tax, 11 quickly downloaded songs, and thirty minutes later, I silently thanked iTunes for letting me add "songs" to my list of "unreturnable items that can be purchased from the comfort of my own home, as quickly as an impulse can form". I salute you, Mr. Jobs.

Aside from that, I feel inclined to share Karen's conspiracy theory that the entire competition is rigged, and Archie has not only been "in it to win it", but "pre-selected to win it" by the evil producers of the show who can think of no better lines to feed Randy via teleprompter than "you could sing the phone book, dawg". (Seriously? I think that's three weeks in a row, dawg.)

The EW.com American Idol cynic who reports on the show seems to agree with Karen, and presents the following for your consideration:

"And so while I could blather on incessantly about how American Idol needs to crown a hip, radio-ready winner like Rocker David, fans of Little David could just as easily (and very correctly) counter with the fact that tonight's finale was a vocal tour de force for their boy, a tidal wave of glory notes, runs, and misty eyelashes that only the most horrible kind of cynic would try to deny. (Sorry, haters, I'm not volunteering for that kamikaze mission.)

It's weird, my current lack of fighting spirit. Maybe after 41 episodes, I'm too Idol-ed out to rail against Simon Cowell for essentially standing on his seat and reconfiguring last season's Idol coronation theme into ''This Is Archie's Now.'' Maybe after getting repeatedly punched in the face by the episode's overzealous boxing metaphor, I can't get up off the mat and make note of the fact that Randy had been hand-stenciling his ''I'm an Arch Angel 4EVA'' poster for the last several weeks. Heck, even Ryan got in on the action tonight, with a ''Well said, Mr. Cowell'' only seconds after Simon declared the evening a knockout for Archuleta. (Et tu, Hostbot?)"

What do you think?

On another, more embarassing note, I was just at the copy machine whistling and singing Jason Castro's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"... in what I thought was a soft voice... when someone sitting closeby started laughing and said, "Hey Catherine... Whatcha singing?"

I might actually need to start taking responsibility for all these embarassing experiences and awkward situations that I'm finding myself in...

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

So why are they both crying in those pictures. Too mushy for me.
What say the conspiracy theorists now?

Catherine said...

Well, Karen seems to still believe that the judges were conspiring. In response to my text sent immediately after David Cook was announced winner, "Haha you are thwarted! Admit defeat!", Karen responded, and I quote: "I still think there's smething fishy and you can't make me believe otherwise." Some people are never satisfied.

Linds said...

It says in a few different places (in fine print) that the producers have the right to change to outcome without any notice so yes, it is definately rigged so have the outcome they want. That's why I knew Cook would win, but our home town boy is still going to have a great career.