Monday, September 8, 2008

Haiiiiii-YAH!

Given my total laziness in blogging lately, I feel like I should report on some awesome story to mark my return to the blogging world. Unfortunately, the best commentary I can offer right now is the following [dreadful] experience and its associated moral lesson.

I visited my brother's ward in Arizona for the second week in a row yesterday. Since Shelly's services have been commandeered by the Primary, I was forced to brave Relief Society alone. As I was sitting pleasantly by myself reading my (English) scriptures, an uber-smiley member of the Relief Society Presidency ("RSP") in her late twenties approached me and said "HI! Are you new to the ward or just visiting?!" I explained that I was visiting my brother and his family (who she knew) before heading out East for a new job and was asked...

"So where are you visiting from? [.5 second pause] CHINA?"

Apparently, the English scriptures in my hand, her familiarity with my brother (who is not, in fact, from China), and our conversation (in what I'd like to think is pretty good Engrish) were not enough evidence of my American citizenship. As I tried to stifle the laughs that threatened to exit my mouth that remained agape, the RSP went on to say, "Well, I know your brother's family goes back there often... I just didn't know which members of the family lived back there."

Note: neither I nor my brother have ever been to China. In the four years my brother has lived in Arizona, he has visited Taiwan once with his family. He has made no other trips to Asia.

Moral: So I don't continue to threaten to use this story as the base of a testimony (which I actually considered as a fleeting thought), let me share the following principles with you:

1. If you meet someone with red hair, do not ask if they are from Scotland and/or if they play the bagpipes.

2. If you meet someone with Latin/Hispanic features, do not ask how they eluded the border patrol on their way into AMER-I-CAH.

3. If you meet someone with olive skin, do not ask if they are from China.

8 comments:

Star Gazer said...

Sigh.... I can so relate! When people comment on how well I speak English (assuming I'm from China---because all Asians are Chinese), I like to say, "Oh, you speak English so well too!"

Kevin Abernethy said...

I really enjoyed this story. I liked it so much that I made my wife listen as I read it aloud a second time. I will strive to remember the lessons taught here.

Paige said...

Wow, Catherine. I forgot some people are actually that sheltered, naiive, or whatever the word is... But I'm glad you've returned to the blogging world with another amazing story. As always, a pleasure.

The Rylanders said...

HAHA! Once in my old ward we had a girl's night out at a mexican restaurant. One of the RS counselors aske me if the food was "authentic" enough for me...Too funny...So where are you moving to on the east coast??

Unknown said...

I would just like to point out that this experience did not take place in Utah. See Catherine, ignorant people live everywhere. :)

Wendolamite said...

ask RSP if she is originally from Utah. =oD
Someone in my new neighborhood yelled "oooh. konichiwa" in what he thought was an asian accent as I rode by on my longboard. My response will not be stated here but let's just say, I'm still shocked everytime.

M. said...

haaaa. Yeah, totally laughing at that one. Loved Chantell's comment too. My fav was on my mission, you know people thinking the British flag was greek, oh and people complementing my British friends on how well they spoke ENGLISH. Seriously bowed my head in shame on those instances.

Lyndsay said...

You've already described what my reaction would be: HAIIIII-YAH!