Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Brown paper--In or Out?

I know, I know... I've turned into a blogging maniac. Unfortunately, I have been presented with great blog fodder through spending some quality time with my mom over the past few days. After all, she HAS recently stepped off the boat from Taiwan and is experiencing the re-acclimation to American culture that can be so painful after living in a foreign country for years. (Officially, my mom returned to the US on a plane, but since I have been assaulted with blasting racial generalizations lately, why not add a few of my own to the mix? Let's say she's fresh off the boat).

Please note that I do in fact have a great relationship with my mom. So, for all you haters out there, please constrain yourself from leaving comments on how I'm a rude/disrespectful child. Pshia.

In any case, we made a stop at In-n-Out Burger today. As I was focusing on my food and eating my fries like a squirrel eats nuts (fast forward to second 18 for the true demonstration), my mom looked at me with a confused look on her face and asked,

"Is this brown wrapper around my burger paper? Because I have been eating it and wondering why my burger is crunchy."

Not even my reaction to the scummy-looking 17 year old with a low-riding backpack slung over his shoulders who said "heeeeeyyy baaa-by!" to me as I passed him on my way to the restroom could compare to the laughter that consumed me after realizing my mom had eaten 1/4 of the paper around the burger. Poor mom. For the record, the brown paper wrapped around those burgers isn't rice paper... or any other form of edible paper. Oopsie.

7 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Can you really complain about your treatment from Americans when they immediately adopt you into our country (welcome, little one) by using such terms of endearment?

Mark and Kim said...

In your mom's defense, the brown paper did probably taste similar to the burger...

Paige said...

Wow. Val's crazy. I'm glad she at least stopped to ask before she finished off all the paper. Love it. By the way, why are 17 year-olds still hitting on you? Do you need to be a contestant on TLC's "What Not to Wear" to look your age? (i love that show)

The Rylanders said...

This is exactly the story I need to start off my morning! I LOVE your mom!

Kevin Abernethy said...

We love reading your blog for entertaining updates! However, as I look at your list of blogging buddies, I cannot help but wonder what title my family's blog might receive...I shall expect to see it the next time I view your blog.
http://www.kevinandkatieabernethy.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

paige... umm... seriously. i cannot stop people from thinking i'm 12, no matter what i wear, but 5k for free shopping would certainly be nice! abernethy... your wish is my command.

Bob said...

What brown paper? :p