Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Got gas?

I filled up my new car for the first time yesterday. My dad will be coming to pick up the Civic this weekend, which means I'll have the privilege of driving this premium-fuel vehicle everywhere. I'll be honest... I'm a little scared.

Fifty-two dollars and fifteen gallons of premium fuel later, I find myself wondering why our government is providing subsidies to large oil companies. These giant corporations justify the subsidies by arguing that they "allow" the corporations to allocate funds to research and development. Um, maybe I was sleeping that day in Econ 101, but isn't that what "profit" is for?

In any case, I say recession shmeesession and proudly upgrade myself from laughing out loud, to yelling... "what the freak!" everytime I go to the gas pump. How glamorous.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Makes me happy that I walk to work and fill up only once a month.

Lyndsay said...

It's hard to follow such a smug comment from Mr. Jeff, but woot for a new car today, which equals a new gas bill. Hooray!

Erik said...

Don't put premium in your car. it is a waste of 20 cents every gallon
Midgrade at the most. and don't give me that "Pinging" BS.