Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Last pictureless blog

My blog has become quite drab without any pictures lately. Nevertheless, I will press on... I'll get my trip pictures uploaded eventually.

Ancient Rome, Italy: Ancient Rome is cool and deserved its own day of endless walking. The Colloseum was my favorite part of the trip. However, that visit solidified my opinion that the Roman Empire was destined to fall as all art, memorials, buildings, etc. represent that the civilization was concerned only with power, prisoners, and war. Silly Romans. Additionally, pretty much any life, bodily, or attitude ailment can be cured with a single dose of goodness from Rome's famous Gelateria. How I miss that place.

Naples and Pompei, Italy: Erupting volcanos are quite destructive, and create some disturbing castes of people who were killed quickly then buried in ash. (Sorry, but it was kind of a dreary trip to those places.)

In any case, I'm back from my rockin' trip.

Lessons learned include:

1. Air quality is severely affected if every person around you chain smokes an endless amount of cigarettes,

2. Knowing the general sleeping/store closing schedule of your town is integral if you don't want to make meals of smashed Cheese Nips, tap water, and beef jerky,

3. It is safe to assume that any drink you are "treated" to on the house will contain copious amounts of alcohol,

4. Bathrooms on trains will not smell of waste when "flushing" causes such waste to dump directly onto the track and air from the moving train to blow up the toilet opening,

5. Making out at public places including: any plot of grass or bench with a view of the Colloseum, the Trevi fountain (especially at night), or on any Metro train is a totally appropriate activity, and

6. Avoiding pickpocketers is easy if you recognize the threat, change your walking speed erratically through the Metro station, move to the side to let the potential pickpocketer pass, and, when all else fails... stare him down with beady Asian eyes.

Pictures will be forthcoming.

1 comment:

M. said...

pick pocket??? I'm glad you loved Italy. I love that place... my first foreign adventure without my parents! mmmh. gelato....