Monday, December 17, 2007

Professional Eater? Anyone? Anyone?

I have this unconquerable obsession with good food... luckily, my friend Wendy shares in the obsession and can relate to me. A couple of nights ago, I distracted Wendy from studying for finals by listing out the best things to eat in Taiwan. She added some food items that I had forgotten, and we compared our lists for over an hour.

Wendy then realized that she should change majors and professions (who wants to be an engineer anyway?), to which I suggested that she become a food scientist or nutritionist. Not satisfied by these suggestions, Wendy instead expressed her interest in becoming a professional eater. [I thought she was making that up too.]

Apparently, the participants in the International Federation of Competitive Eating, or I.F.O.C.E. as it is better known, are lobbying to have competitive eating be recognized more widely as a sport. The photo on this post is known as the "Black Widow" of competitive eating--her records include:

1 - 11 pounds of cheesecake in 9 minutes in 2004
2 - 8 pounds and 2 ounces of Weinerschnitzel Chili Cheese Fries in 10 minutes in 2006
3 - 9 pound "Big Daddy" cheeseburger in 27 minutes in 2006
4 - 44 Maine lobsters (11.3 pounds of meat)from the shell in 12 minutes in 2005
5 - 552 oysters in 10 minutes in 2005

She's 40 and weighs 105 pounds. How is that biologically possible? And, how do I sign up for that metabolism?

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Bad things would happen if I attempted to eat a fraction of any of those things. What are the prizes for those kinds of competitions? I think Wendy should begin her ascent to the championship--especially if you can peak at age 40. There's plenty of time.

Shiloh said...

I thought you did have that metabolism! I think you and Wendy should both go after this dream!

Anonymous said...

Where would you find the necessary funding for training? That food adds up fast, you know. You'd have to find sponsorships and grants. Maybe even a small business loan- "yes, I need money for food to eat. Lots and lots of food."