Friday, May 16, 2008

To all non-law-abiding Toyota and Lexus Drivers

Disclaimer: I am a law abiding citizen.

Despite that disclaimer, however, I must pose the following question: do any of you get frustrated with the incessant seatbelt warning dinging that is standard on all newer cars? Do you really believe that the increasing frequency of the dings and their offensive loudness when you're going 2 mph out of your driveway make your ride safer?

I do not. I will monitor my own seatbelt wearing, thank you very much.

And, despite my car manufacturer's promise that the seat can tell the difference between the weight of groceries and a small human being, the car has been wrong on at least one occasion so far.

Therefore, on my first maintenance check, I pleaded with the service guys to remove the dinging from my car. Both the assistant service manager and service technician said that they would be unable to remove the dinging because "it's a safety feature". In my head, I grumbled about stupid lawyers and people suing car dealerships for removing safety features. Boo.

In any case, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Enter: Google, in all its magesty. (Thanks for the tip, Sharon). Apparently there IS a fix online for all Toyota and Lexus drivers:

1. Turn the key to the ON position (press Start 2 times, foot off the brake for IS250 drivers, or turn the key to the second accessory position right before starting the ignition with a normal key)

2. Cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B)

3. Turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position (or turn the car off and remove key)

4. Unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled

5. Turn the key to the ON position (press Start 2 times, or turn the key to the second accessory position). When the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count for 30 seconds

6. While still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt

7. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". Toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset button

8. The process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off

In the poetic words of Gwen Stefani, "Woooo hoooooo. Yeeeee hooooooo."

2 comments:

Melissa Hilda Caress said...

While I really like all of that post, the best part is the "Woooo hoooooo. Yeeeee hooooooo"; I feel better knowing you like that song.

Shiloh said...

This sounds like a secret code to warp to the dragon level without defeating some of the middle levels! But I'm glad you found it! :)